02 August 2014

Take a Sad Song

Because I packed so much into my previous post, I didn't get to talk about a few things I would have liked to concerning the end of my time at ISS.  I spoke much of friendship and how we can make the world a better place but very little of the more mundane elements such as exams -- yes I had exams -- and packing, along with some closing events.

I'll start with exams because that was such a large part of my last week at ISS.  While many people finished their exams on Monday and Tuesday, I had to wait until Wednesday to take my first one and Thursday to finish.  At least it gave me a little extra study time, though I feel as if I didn't study nearly as much as I should have.  The exams still went well but I feel like they could have gone a lot better.  My history exam was exactly what I expected it to be.  The only unknown element was whether or not the essay question I had prepared the most for would be one of the options.  Thankfully, it was.  Therefore, it was just two hours of regurgitating all the dates, names, and events I had memorized.

To go off on a small tangent: that's the trouble with me and exams.  I'm good at memorizing dates, names, etc. for short term but as soon as the exam is over I forget it all.  It makes preparing for exams both a gift and a curse because I have to put very little effort into it but I think that if I did put more effort into it I would be able to remember things better past the day of the exam.  It's been three days and I can still remember most of the reasons for Norwegian immigration to the United States so that's at least a good sign.

Immediately after I was done with my history exam I had to go take my Norwegian oral exam.  I had to be ready to talk about several subjects, such as family and friends or my free time and travel, drawn from cards and then hold a conversation on that subject with my partner.  We tried to prepare what we would say and while it worked well for my partner, it worked less well for me, I think.  When I try to memorize what I'm going to say I often forget something and then get all flustered so I panic and forget even more.  I almost wish we had gone in without preparing anything and just let the conversation happen naturally but some people -- my partner included -- don't feel comfortable in doing that, which I completely understand and respect; I like to have something prepared most of the time, too, but in this case I think I would have been more comfortable winging it.  I stumbled over my words a couple times and had trouble remembering a few phrases but my professor, who was administering the exam, was very helpful and kind.

My last exam was the written exam for Norwegian.  By this point I was just ready to be done so I didn't put as much effort into it as I probably should have but I still thought it went well.  I was able to answer most of the questions and if you told me that I'd be able to write a 200-word essay in Norwegian after only six weeks of study I probably wouldn't have believed you.  I finished with an hour to spare.

After the exam it was time to pack.  It's amazing how hard it was to get everything to fit back into my suitcase when the only thing I bought was a sweater.  After about an hour of trying to be neat, the hot dorm room got to me and I just started throwing everything into my suitcase willy-nilly.  For a future post, I'm planning on writing about the many different methods of packing (e.g. willy-nilly or the perfectionist's puzzle) so if you'd like to share your preferred method of packing, please leave a comment with an entertaining name for it below.  The name should be able to tell me everything I need to know.

Shortly after I got done packing, I went downtown with my friends for the last time.  We went to our favourite places in Oslo -- Aker Brygge and Karl Johans gate.  It was quite sad to know that this would probably be the last time we're all in Oslo together but each others' company, a 35 kr. ball of gelato, and the knowledge that we still had a night of celebration ahead of us made everything better.

The farewell ceremony was filled with pictures, speeches, music, and, of course, friends.  The speeches were good and, though they said it in a different way, emphasized many of the same themes I talked about in my previous post.  One of the recurring lines paraphrased is, "In our time here at the International Summer School we've made the world smaller through the friends we've made and ideas we've shared.  Now let's take that experience out into the world to make it a better place."  I have to admit there were parts of the student council president's speech when I could feel the hair standing up on my neck and arms.  It was one of the most poignant and beautiful moments in all my time at ISS.

After the ceremony we went back to Blindern where Oksana, Jessica, and Zuzana presented me with a Bambi story book (in Norwegian).  It was one of the most wonderful and heartfelt gifts I've ever received.  I will cherish it forever.  They didn't sign it, though, which I'm okay with because it means I'll just have to bring it along when we meet up next time.

And Make it Better
We then went back to the farewell party and had a wonderful time dancing and talking and making plans for when we'd visit each other.  It was one of the best nights of the summer school but one of the worst mornings.  Saying good-bye is never easy but it was made easier knowing that we'd all visit each other soon.  I made three separate trips to the metro station to see people off, treading on the numerous tracks left by the suitcase wheels of those who left before us.  Each time I walked back up to the dormitory feeling a little more complete for feeling a little more empty -- it meant I had made some friends I truly care about and, I think, truly care for me.

After the last trip to the metro station I went to go sit in the lounge while I waited for my family to come pick me up.  I don't know who she was but there was somebody in there playing piano.  There were a few mistakes but it doesn't matter because it was still some of the most beautiful piano playing I've ever heard.  It perfectly captured the sadness of having to leave Blindern while at the same time incorporating all the happy times, all the jokes, all the things that made Oslo and ISS such a remarkable experience.  Over the background noise of people laughing and recalling stories, exchanging addresses and saying their final good-byes, the music was made even more powerful.  I sat there in a daze, just listening to a single day and six weeks manifested in a single song.  It is a moment I will never forget.  But just in case, I took a short recording of the song.  Thank you to whoever it was that shared their musical talents with us in such a bittersweet moment.

Finally, my family arrived to drag me away from Blindern.  The rest I'll save for tomorrow's post.  Stay tuned.  -NLD

P.S.
Want to learn all the details of what happened before and after the farewell party?  I've hidden a hyperlink somewhere on the internet for you to find.  To help you along, I've left a clue on the Facebook page for my poetry blog.  Don't know where to find it?  Try looking under "Find Me Elsewhere" in the sidebar, for a start.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment