25 July 2014

All-Time Highs

Yesterday (Thursday) Oslo set a new record high temperature of 33.4° C (92.1° F) for the month of July.  Living in Seattle for the past two years has spoiled me weather-wise;  I'm not used to this sort of heat and I certainly didn't expect to encounter it here in Norway.  I'll probably go to Sangsvann this afternoon for a nice refreshing swim before dinner and the International Cultural Evening.

Not only is the temperature at all-time highs but so is the security in response to the terror threat against Norway.  They haven't told us much other than what little we were told in the emails sent out yesterday but I've read a few news articles on the subject and this is what I found out:  The threat is linked to fighting in Syria.  It is not known who, how, or where any attack might be carried out but it is said to be planned to take place within the next few days.  Though the intelligence is unspecific, it is believed to be credible.  In response, many buildings have been closed to the public and police and security forces are on extra high alert.  On my way to the Norwegian Folk Museum I saw clear signs of increased security: Police vans parked on street corners, guards posted at metro stations, road blocks up in front of important buildings.  I have full confidence in Norway's security forces and doubt that I am in any danger.  I'll keep posting updates as I learn more.

nøff nøff
This afternoon I went to the Norwegian Folk Museum with my Norwegian class.  It was far more interesting than the Resistance Museum.  The Folk Museum is an almost entirely outdoor museum with buildings both very old and somewhat new brought in from all around Norway.  I got to stand inside a Stave Church over 700 years old and a house that was built before the Black Death arrived in Norway (1349).  I also got to try some traditional Norwegian lefse.  It was much thicker than the tynnlefse I'm used to back home.  It was delicious all the same.  There was also a wide-array of farm animals mø-mø-ing, klukk-klukk-ing, and nøff-nøff-ing.  There was too much to see in just half a class period so I'd like to go back before I leave.




That's all I have for today.  I'll probably have another post about the International Culture Evening ready some time tomorrow and I'm still chipping away at a longer post that should be up some time next week.  I hope there won't be any events that would warrant its own post and therefore delay the longer one but from what I've read it could be a possibility so I'll remain cautious.  Stay tuned.  -NLD

No comments:

Post a Comment