21 July 2014

In the Land of Giants

This weekend (19/7-20/7) I went on a hiking and white water rafting excursion to Jotunheimen -- the Home of the Giants.  I apologise for the delay in getting this post out but after getting back Sunday evening I was extremely tired from two days filled with hiking, rafting, and long bus rides.  I'm only getting around to posting it now because it's taken me this long to write it.  I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my writing.

The bus to Jotunheimen National Park left bright and early Saturday morning at 8:30.  Okay, that's not that early but when you had an interesting Friday night and have to get up in time for breakfast, too, it was pretty dang early.  As "early" as it was, I was still surprised by how empty the bus seemed as we pulled away from Blindern Studenterhjem.  Assuming the bus was meant to be almost full, either a third of the people who originally signed up missed the bus or this excursion was ridiculously undersold.

The bus ride was beautiful but, unfortunately, I wasn't awake to see much of it.  Occasionally the uncomfortable bus seats woke me up long enough to catch a glimpse of a stunningly blue lake, a dynamite-scarred rock face, or Brady's drooping head.  We escaped the bus for a short lunch break in Fagernes before piling back in for the rest of my nap to Jotunheimen.

Our lunch spot in Fagernes
When I fell asleep shortly after leaving Fagernes we were still surrounded by lakes and tree covered mountains; when I woke up I was in a completely different world.  The lakes had been replaced by seas of grass, rocks, and shrubs; the tree-covered mountains by rugged batholiths, rising out the landscape like waking giants.  Jotunheimen National Park is aptly named.

The struggle is real!
Our first major activity was a hike up Bitihorn -- a 600m (1968 ft.) ascent over rocky terrain and muddy streams.  Although my footwear was entirely unsuitable for such a hike, they got me up and down the mountain safely; my distress over whether or not to pack big, bulky, heavy hiking boots was unnecessary.  Hiking boots would have been useful, though, in keeping up with all the Norwegians and their five-year-old children.  Seriously!  Norwegian families are crazy athletic!  They bring their kids and short-legged dogs on a hike that had me breathing hard thirty minutes in.  Not only that but some of them run -- literally run! -- up and down the mountain for exercise.  One misstep and I'd be dead before I tumbled to the bottom.  The true Norwegians are more daring than me.

The muddy shoes, somewhat scraped forearm, and four hours of clambering over rocks were totally worth it because the views were incredible!  Only a panorama can come close to encapsulating the immense beauty of the area: snow-capped peaks, glacial lakes, enormous sky.

On the way up.
Made it to the top of Bitihorn!
Is there any "way" more beautiful than Norway?
As beautiful as the hike was, it was nowhere near as fun as white water rafting down the Sjoa River.  The hour and a half bus ride from Bitihorn to the rafting camp would have been beautiful if only I hadn't had to go to the bathroom so badly.  Longest. Bus Ride. Ever.  I had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, though, because after we arrived at camp our only duties for the rest of the evening were eating a delicious dinner and sitting in hot tubs.

The next day, after a traditional Norwegian breakfast, we wet-suited up for whatever the river would throw at us.  And throw at us it did -- frigid glacial water, waves taller than our raft crashing over us, enormous rocks situated in the middle of the river.  Our incredible rafting guides guided us through it all without incident.  In between rapids, while we were in relatively "calm" waters, I looked up from the frothy water to see magnificent geologic structures in the cliffs overlooking either bank of the river, farms and houses a stark contrast to the heavily forested mountain-side, smiling faces all around me.  White water rafting was definitely one of the most exhilarating and fun experiences of my life!

While I wouldn't normally use pictures I personally didn't take, I paid for these and they're my only proof I actually went rafting.  And since I'm not using this blog for my own financial gain I don't feel bad about using them as long as I give photo credit where it's due: Barbora Hollan, Sjoa Rafting.





That's all from me for now.  I'll probably post something short in the next few days as I'm also working on a post that's a bit longer.  I hope you've enjoyed reading this post and, though I haven't mentioned it before, please, always feel free to leave a comment below.  Stay tuned.  -NLD

No comments:

Post a Comment